Mariama J. Lockington has over thirteen years of experience working as a K-12 educator in the nonprofit sector and currently works for a College of Education. She enjoys teaching hands-on writing workshops and speaking with young people about their stories.
- FOR BLACK GIRLS LIKE ME book talk: A 45-60 minute presentation about For Black Girls Like Me, including an introduction to main characters, key themes, a discussion on courage and music, as well as writing tips and tricks. Ends with a Q & A.
- We Tell Stories Every Day : A 45- 60 minute interactive presentation about finding your voice, finding your story, and telling it loud. Mariama unpacks what sparked her passion to write, what stood in her way, and how spoken word helped her find her people, build her career, and develop her voice. Ends with a Q & A.
- I Love, I Hurt, I Wonder: Writing to Survive (Grades 6+): Practicing the bravery process through song lyrics & poetry
- Hey, I’m a fork! Odd Perspectives, Unexpected Characters (Grades 4+): Practicing the persona through inanimate objects
- I AM ME! (Grades 3+): Discovering our homes and ourselves using the five senses
Interested in something else? Mariama is happy to work with your school or organization to better fit curriculum and audience needs.
- Virtual Visit: 45-60 minutes
$100-$150 — Includes a reading/presentation and Q & A
- K-12 School Visit: Full Day
$900 + travel & accommodations if more than an hour away from Lexington, KY
Includes two 45-60 minute classroom workshops or assembly presentations + a brown bag lunch Q & A
- K-12 School Visit: Half Day
$650 + travel & accommodations if more than an hour away from Lexington, KY
Includes one 45-60 minute classroom workshop or assembly presentation + a brown bag lunch Q & A